What are the different types of a network? Explain each briefly?
There are 4 major types of networks.
Let’s take a look at each of them in detail.
- Personal Area Network (PAN): It is the smallest and basic network type that is often used at home. It is a connection between the computer and another device such as phone, printer, modem tablets, etc
- Local Area Network (LAN): LAN is used in small offices and internet cafes to connect a small group of computers to each other. Usually, they are used to transfer a file or for playing the game in a network.
- Metropolitan Area Network (MAN): It is a powerful network type than LAN. The area covered by MAN is a small town, city, etc. A huge server is used to cover such a large span of area for connection.
- Wide Area Network (WAN): It is more complex than LAN and covers a large span of the area typically a large physical distance. The Internet is the largest WAN which is spread across the world. WAN is not owned by any single organization but it has distributed ownership.
There are some other types of the network as well:
- Storage Area Network (SAN)
- System Area Network (SAN)
- Enterprise Private Network (EPN)
- Passive Optical Local Area Network (POLAN)